The Nippon Club

Business

Year: 1905


The Nippon Club was founded in New York City in 1905 and continues its activities now at Nippon Club Tower, 145 West 57th Street. Shown are some photographs of the Nippon Club's history. 1. The Nippon Club building ca. 1905 2. The Nippon Club building ca.1915 3-5. The first president of the Nippon Club, Dr. Jokichi Takamine 6. The Nippon Club was founded at 44 West 85th Street in 1905. 7. Dr. Jokichi Takamine at cherry tree planting ceremony at Sakura Park in upper Manhattan in 1912. (The trees were originally intended to be presented at the Hudson-Fulton Celebration in 1909, commemorating the 300th anniversary of the discovery of the Hudson River, but the steamer carrying the trees from Japan was lost at sea.) 8. Dr. Jokichi Takamine (left) and Dr. Hideyo Noguchi (right) having dinner at the Nippon Club. 9. A new clubhouse was built at 161 West 93rd Street in 1912. 10. A view inside the clubhouse. 11. The Peacock Room had a quiet and elegant atmosphere 12. In 1963 the Nippon Club obtained the lease for 145 West 57th Street for a new and larger clubhouse. 13. The Nippon Club logo. 14. The Nippon Club was incorporated as a membership corporation on May 24, 1915. 15. An event poster from 1918. 16. After being closed during WWII, the Nippon Club it was reestablished in 1957 and new clubhouse was opened at East 96th Street. 17. A banquet held at the Hotel Astor in the early days of the Nippon Club.


View PDF: Nippon Club.pdf

Source: The Nippon Club

Added Date 03/15/2021